Vaping is safe.
False. Although many e-cigarettes have fewer chemicals than regular cigarettes, they still have many toxic or cancer-causing chemicals. They‘re far from safe.
Vaping isn’t addictive.
False. It’s rather simple. Nicotine is highly addictive. If your e-cigs have nicotine in them, they’re addictive.
Vaping can’t harm your brain.
False. Your brain’s still developing into your 20s. Vaping can harm it as it grows.
Vapes are not tobacco.
False. They contain nicotine from tobacco leaves, and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) considers them tobacco.
Vaping helps you quit smoking.
False. The FDA does not approve vaping as a way to quit smoking.
OK, now that we’ve cleared the air of some of the misinformation circulating out there about vaping, here’s one more cold, hard fact about vaping:
Quitting isn’t easy.
Although many people find It hard to quit, it’s doable and worth it for your health! Many people don’t succeed until their second, third – or even 12th – time trying. But it’s worth trying – and trying again – until you’re able to stop. And you don’t have to do it alone. There’s a lot of help waiting for you:
- Reach out to your doctor and ask for help quitting.
- Call the number on the back of your health plan ID card and ask if your plan includes Quit For Life® – a personalized program to help you quit. Visit hally.com/care to learn more.
- Visit cdc.gov/tobacco for tips, resources and more.
Here’s something that’s not a myth: You deserve the best health and quality of life. Fact. Take action today and get the help you need to quit tobacco for good. And don’t be fooled by vapes – they’re just another harmful form of tobacco in disguise.
More Links to Help Clear the Air About Vaping
- Learn about the hidden dangers of vaping in these features from Sarah Bush Lincoln Health System and MultiCare Yakima Memorial Hospital.
- Does vaping put teen hearts at risk? Find out more here from OSF HealthCare.
- What you don’t know about vaping could hurt you. Click here and here for more from our friends at Memorial Health.